All around the world, the month of June is known as Pride Month. The month is dedicated to celebrating the rights, struggles, sacrifices, and victories of the LGBTQ+ community all over the world. It also provides a platform for us all to reflect on the need for an inclusive society with equal rights for us all.
Pride month celebrations are a popular phenomenon in the West, but India is not far behind either, with colorful events being held in all the major cities.
Here are some of the events that you can watch out for:
- Queer Made Weekend, Delhi : If you are in Delhi anytime during 17-18 June, you can visit this event at DLF Promenade. At Queer Made Weekend, organized by Gaysi Family and Tinder India, you can mingle with and show your support to queer entrepreneurs and small business owners.
- Legends And Divas – Pride Edition, Mumbai : The musical on June 11 is being staged to celebrate and support the LGBTQ+ community. It will also be paying tribute to some of the notable members of the community, such as Madonna, Frank Sinatra, Adele, Elvis Presley, and the like. The musical will cover over five decades and give us an insight into the times and lives of these legends.
- KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival : The 14th edition of the KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival will occur between June 7 and 11, 2023. It has been held every year since 2010 and is the only mainstream film festival in honor of the LGBTQ+ community. The theme for this year is ‘BE FLUID, BE YOU!‘.
- The LGBT Pride Summit, Mumbai : The 3rd edition of the LGBT Pride Summit in Mumbai will be held on June 21 from 9:00 Am to 6:00 PM. The event will mainly feature a panel discussion on the importance of diversity.
- Chennai Rainbow Pride : The 15th edition of Chennai Rainbow Pride will be held on Sunday, June 25. The venue is yet to be announced. Events held during Chennai Rainbow Pride 2023 will celebrate the recognition of alternate sexualities and all gender identities.
- Satrangi Mela (Pride Edition), Indiranagar Social, Bengaluru : The third edition of Satrangi Mela will take place on 18th June at Indiranagar Social, Bengaluru. Satrangi Mela is India’s first all-day queer festival celebrating queer talent and queer businesses. It also focuses on highlighting pressing yet less-talked-about aspects of queer experience.
The celebrations during Pride Month are theme-based. Each year a different theme is chosen to encourage discourse around a particular topic. The theme for Pride Month 2023 is Rage and Resilience, which will focus on the recent rise in anti-LGBT bills and laws.
Barsha Bhattacharya is a senior content writing executive. As a marketing enthusiast and professional for the past 4 years, writing is new to Barsha. And she is loving every bit of it. Her niches are marketing, lifestyle, wellness, travel and entertainment. Apart from writing, Barsha loves to travel, binge-watch, research conspiracy theories, Instagram and overthink.