It was December 2018, and I was on Tinder for the first time, trying to find a ‘suitable boy’ to go on a date. After a ridiculous breakup a few weeks ago, I was finally ready to move on. The year was nearly coming to an end, and so were my feelings for my former partner. I still remember the day so clearly…
“I worry my soulmate is on a different dating site…”
Sitting on the backbench in a fancy gallery-sized classroom, I was constantly swiping left, disappointed with all the alternatives Tinder kept throwing my way. And suddenly, there was this one profile I didn’t entirely dislike. Good bio, even better pictures, and a crazy vibe, just the kind of guy I like. Without thinking twice, I swiped right…and in the blink of a heartbeat, it was a MATCH.
Love In The Time Of Algorithm And The Birth Of Tinder:
Dating really is not what it used to be. You don’t have to literally go to a bar and hit on random people, only to get rejected, and that too face-to-face. Instead, you can hit on random people from the comforts of your own home and still get rejected, or worse,
- get ghosted,
- get catfished,
- get no swipes at all
Yes, Tinder can totally prove to be a total party pooper at times. But that’s fine as long as you manage to strike gold sometimes (like me!) Launched sometime in 2012, the Tinder app is a sort of social networking platform which specifically deals with romantic communication between two people.
“Online dating is a lot of fun until I have to go on a date.”
Tinder has revolutionized the concept of online dating by being one of the most popular dating apps out there. In fact, it was perhaps one of the earliest of its kind. In 2021, the app registered nearly 1.6 billion swipes every day and almost one million dates (in-person) every week.
So if you are new to the dating scene, you could try out this dating app. It proved to be quite lucky for you, considering I am still dating my Tinder match from three years ago. And if love is not your only agenda at the moment, all the more reason for you to be on one dating app at the very least.
Features Of Tinder: A Blend Of Love And Lust
I have been in a monogamous relationship for the past three years, so naturally, I can’t just go back to Tinder for fun. Because trust me on this one – Tinder is fun! So what I do instead is simply type ‘Reddit Tinder’ and have a gala time reading all the funny threads Reddit is famous for!
But if you are single and available or single and horny, you can totally check this fun dating app out. Scroll down to check out all the fun features of Tinder and find out why choosing this app is a solid idea.
To Swipe Or Not To Swipe
One of the best features of Tinder is the swipe feature. You don’t have to communicate rejection anymore. You can swipe left and choose not to engage with every single profile on the app. The course of true love does run smoothly in the world of algorithms.
“Congratulations on meeting your soulmate while using an app on the toilet.”
The best part? You no longer need to kiss every frog to meet your Prince Charming. Instead, you can simply swipe for one or several potential Prince Charmings. Trust me, swiping makes things easier!
‘Coz Just A Like Is Never Enough, And Super Likes Are Kind Nice
The super like feature on Tinder is quite cool. Since the app requires you to actually match with the person you want to chat with, the only way you can get hold of someone’s attention is with the help of these super likes. But like all good things in life, these are not unlimited.
So you need to be a little choosy while giving your super likes away. But if you love wearing that heart on your sleeve, you should upgrade to the pro version known as Tinder Plus. But, of course, it will cost you some money – the cost you basically pay for some much-needed attention and action!
Craving Some Attention? Boost Your Profile
The Boost feature is perfect for anyone who has been feeling a little lonely. Not receiving enough attention? That’s all fine. You need to spend a little money and boost your account for some much-needed sizzle. When you boost your account, your profile becomes a top profile in your selected area.
The idea is to get the boosted accounts relatively more matches. One boost is priced at 3.99 pounds, while five boosts come for 3 pounds/each, and ten boosts come for even lower rates, 2.40 pounds for each boost.
Upgrading Your Lovelife With Premium Versions
It is no surprise that, like every other app, there is some form of upgrade on Tinder as well. Only in this case, the options are many. The different types of paid versions available are as follows,
- Tinder Plus
- Tinder Gold
- Tinder Platinum
“If I pay a fee to an online dating site, does that make them my pimp?”
Naturally, most people don’t spend money on upgrading a dating app. But if you are really in the mood, you can always try it out. The rates are not that expensive – check them out below.
|Version||Cost For 1 Month||Cost For 6 Months||Cost For 12 Months|
|Tinder Plus||4.99 pounds||2.50 pounds/month||1.67 pounds/month|
|Tinder Gold||14.99 pounds||7.50 pounds/month||5.00 pounds/month|
|Tinder Platinum||19.99 pounds||10.00 pounds/month||6.67 pounds/month|
Trying Out Tinder: Advantages And Disadvantages
Before you can install Tinder, let’s check out its advantages and disadvantages of the same, especially if you are uncertain about dating applications.
Advantages Of Tinder
The benefits of using the Tinder app are as follows,
- Love is love, and Tinder is pro all kinds of sexual orientations allowing users to set their preferences based on how they identify.
- The app also happens to be user-friendly and simple, with navigation guidelines popping up for guiding new users in handling features.
- Initial rejections are all anonymous – if someone swipes you left or vice versa, neither party ever finds out. Plus, it’s relatively easy to land dates on Tinder.
Disadvantages Of Tinder
The cons of using Tinder are as follows,
- The moment you begin your online dating journey, your photos and other information will be somewhere on the web forever. In fact, Tinder has been hacked in the past. Thus, security is definitely a significant concern.
- Secondly, the dating app also motivates compulsive use. Data shows that average Tinder users spend at least 35 minutes every day on the app, thus blending compulsive use of smartphones and ego gratification together.
- The number of options available on the app makes commitment difficult, but that’s fine, especially with the rising popularity of the hookup culture. But this brings you closer to the chances of getting ghosted, or worse, catfished.
Frequently Asked Questions
For unmatching someone on Tinder, follow the steps mentioned below,
• Open ‘Chats’ and click on the conversation, and if you conversed before, then open a new chat with them.
• You will notice a shield icon inside the chat window in the top right corner.
• Click on the ‘Unmatch from (name)’ and then hit ‘confirm’ to unmatch.
For getting unbanned from Tinder, you could do the following,
• Appeal to Tinder Support,
• Create a fresh Tinder account,
• Use a brand new contact number,
• Start using new pictures and data,
• Create a fresh Google account.
You can cancel Tinder Gold by following the steps mentioned below.
• Open Tinder and navigate to ‘Settings’ by clicking on your profile picture at the top left corner.
• Tap on Settings and click on ‘Manage Payment Account.’
• Now click on ‘Cancel Subscription’
Love It. Hate It. But Can’t Get Enough Of It.
“My self-esteem comes from not responding to people who contact me on dating sites.”
I have always shared a love it-hate it relationship with dating apps, but somehow I have always gone back to them. In fact, if my relationship which practically started on Tinder dies out of natural causes, I’ll probably go back to where it all started! Or maybe I can try out something new and more secure like Bumble!
But the fact is dating apps are here to stay – you can hate them but you can’t get rid of them! Don’t forget to let us know your thoughts on the same in the comments below.
Barsha Bhattacharya is a senior content writing executive. As a marketing enthusiast and professional for the past 4 years, writing is new to Barsha. And she is loving every bit of it. Her niches are marketing, lifestyle, wellness, travel and entertainment. Apart from writing, Barsha loves to travel, binge-watch, research conspiracy theories, Instagram and overthink.